Do you really need a shower in your van?
We've had many people ask us if we can put a shower into their van for them. I usually say "Sure we can. We could build a sauna in the van for you if you wanted that!" However, when we get into the cost and details of what is sacrificed for a shower in a 60sf area, most people opt out and here's why:
This is what needs to be added and subtracted in a build to accommodate a shower:
- 6 square feet of interior floor space
- 25+ gallons of fresh water capacity
- Grey water collection
- Plumbing and Electric Pump
- Fixtures, floor pan, drains, water proof walls
- Hot water heater with fuel supply
- Rubber duckies
If you're considering a shower, I recommend you read this article by Kristen of Bearfoot Theory. In it she outlines the pros and cons of the shower in her Sprinter Van.